Server room air conditioning system for Saga Healthcare Stafford 03/12/12
Orion air conditioning is has completed
the installation of a server room air conditioning system for Saga
Healthcare in Stafford. The new server room was for the expansion of the
companies ongoing quality services for the over 50's. The state of the
art server room had a humidification system and high quality Mitsubishi
Electric air conditioning system to maintain temperature and humidity
levels. All pipe services were run on the sides of the room to avoid any
case of water leaks on to important equipment.
Mitsubishi Electric air conditioning
units are renowned for long reliable life span and are ideal for server
rooms and Com's rooms were a failure can mean the complete shut down of
an entire business or at worst server damage. The new units are energy
efficient inverter systems which have a high COP and modulated inverter
compressor which can save up to 40% on server room air conditioning that
can run 24 hours / 7 days a week. On a recent installation powered off a
UPS system, existing fixed speed (non inverter) server room air
conditioning systems were using 35% of the UPS rated power output. When
new inverter systems were installed the power being used was <7%.
Inverters have a massive energy saving potential.
Server Room Air Conditioning Project
What air conditioning units were
installed at Saga Healthcare Stafford:
6 x Mitsubishi
Electric Air Conditioning Power Inverter Mr Slim PKA-RP100KAL (10kW /
provided enough cooling for the 85 meter square area, 8 server
racks and 2 100KVA UPS systems within the server room with spare
cooling capacity in case of failures and future expansion. With all wall
air conditioning units instead of ceiling cassette air conditioning was
a safer option because when air conditioning unit fails they tend to
leak water. If the water leaks out of a ceiling cassette it can drip
into the top of important server equipment, with wall air conditioning
units this limits the leakage to the sides of the room. These Mitsubishi
PKA-RP100KAL can be found worldwide and have a amazing COP (3.61 x
initial electrical input) which means that every 1000w of electrical
energy going in produces 3610 watts of cooling.
For more information on air
conditioning suitability for server rooms visit our advice
Server room air conditioning efficiency and CO2 emissions:
This air conditioning system, because oversized for the area meant we had spare capacity in case of any failure on any of the systems. The clients servers held critical medical data relating patients so could never fail. The bonus of the extra capacity was that the systems ticked over at sub 50% capacity and the outdoor inverter units slowed down because the temperature had been reached, therefore just pumping small amounts of cooling energy in to maintain the server room. The energy saving was phenomenal and CO2 emissions significantly improved.
Why use a Vapac humidifier for your Server room:
The Vapac humidifier is another
world renowned product for reliable and safe production of humidity for
server rooms, this is ideal when air conditioning is being used as it
counter acts the drying affect air conditioning tends to have on a
area. The Vapac unit can be controlled by a humidistat which gives you
the option of setting the actual humidity percentage for a particular
application. For server rooms there are two reasons why you should have
humidity control. FirstlyASHRAE’s
"Design Considerations for Data and Communications Equipment
Centres" recommends relative humidity conditions between 40% and
55%, with an allowable level between 20% and 80%. If a server
room has a very low humidity the chance of static can rise to problem
levels even with earth strips installed. Secondly if the server room is
worked in by personnel the affect of dry air sub 20% is detrimental to
health, skin and eyes.
room efficiency: 85% approximately
Total power of servers: 80000 Watts
Total heat loss: 6550 [email protected]% +/-
Room in Square Meters: 10625 Watts
Total Heat Load: 17175 Watts
Key points to think about when getting air conditioning for server rooms:
· Always follow the ASHRAE’s Design considerations for data and communications equipment centres guidelines towards humidity
· Cheap air conditioning units do not work in cold weather because they do not have a outside fan speed controller (low ambient kit)
· Use a established brand so if a part fails on you Server room air conditioning you are not waiting 8 weeks for a spare part.
· Sometimes it is worth having two server room air conditioning units because if one fails you still have some cooling.
· To establish the heat load of you servers add up all the power supplies of your servers rack and assume a 40% loss to heat. i.e- If you have 10 servers with 400watt power supply the total watts will be 4000 watts. assuming a 40% loss the heat load will be 1600 watts.
· Work on a average watts per/Msq of 125watts, so if you server room is 5 x 5 meters you will require a base of 3.5kw/12000btu + the heat load.
· Advised manufactures for server room air conditioning Mitsubishi, Daikin, Fujitsu and Lg
· Always use auto-restart units for server room air conditioning units as power failures can shut budget air conditioning down.
· If your server room is temporary (ie short term lease on building) or has building restrictions then portable air conditioning maybe your only option.
· If using portable air conditioning for your server room then make sure it recycles the water for better cooling performance of that it has a integral condensate pump.
· Use a established business who will not be going out of business for your server room air conditioning installation as the warranty of the air conditioning is with the supplier not the manufacturer.
We offer a complete
service to IT Managers, Building Managers and Server Room / Computer /
COMS room managers. Call us for a comprehensive quotation
on varied air conditioning manufactures to suit any budget on new
installations. We have worked with many Blue-chip organisations in
helping them develop their server room air conditioning.
Sales Installation and Service
UK: +44 (0)1234 841221
Last updated - 17/05/2020